Middle School Admissions, including auditioning for PPAS, will be handled through the MySchools web application. If you have not registered for a MySchools account, go to the following page:
Auditioning for PPAS Middle School programs will begin with recorded audition videos that you prepare and submit to the ‘Additional Materials’ section in your MySchools account
Please click on this link to see a detailed video on how to submit middle school audition videos:
Eligibility: Open to NYC residents
Professional Performing Arts School has one middle school program, Theatrical Arts, that requires the two following audition components:
PPAS Middle School Virtual Tour
Middle School life at PPAS. This video showcases our middle school academic teachers, students, classrooms and clips of daily student life.
Tour Middle School Theater Arts Program
Dear 5th Grade Students and Parents,
Perhaps the most important question for you to answer before deciding on the schools that you apply to for Middle School is, “Is this the right school for me?” or in the case for parents, “Is this the right school for my child.”
This question is especially important when considering schools that have a unique core mission. Our mission at PPAS is to train students in a diverse and rigorous performing arts program that mandates dance, singing and acting. It is a musical theater program.
• Students are required to study ballet and other forms of dance: tap, jazz, contemporary with professional instructors and to wear appropriate attire including ballet tights and shoes. Students will perform dances in front of live audiences.
• Students are required to study theater history and understand the nuances of the scripts they memorize for performance in front of class mates and audiences.
• Students are required to learn musical theater and classical music assigned to them by teachers, and then perform them in front of classmates and live audiences.
It is essential that you look at the details of our middle school arts curriculum posted on this page to understand the expectations of the program. A passion for the arts is essential – especially musical theater; a willingness to work hard to master all musical theater disciplines will be required. PPAS is a wonderful opportunity for students and families that want performing arts to be at the core of their educational experience. PPAS provides an environment of disciplined focus and work in the area of classical and contemporary musical theater.
Here are some things we do NOT have at PPAS:
• We do not have any instrumental classes, or any band program.
• We do not have a technical theater program.
• We do not have a visual arts program.
• We do not teach or perform popular music (rock, pop, R&B, etc.)
• We do not have sports.
Commuting to school is something many families overlook in the process. PPAS is a citywide program, but we urge you to consider carefully whether or not a commute of over an hour is manageable for you.
We so look forward to welcoming a focused and passionate group of young musical theater performers to our 6th grade class this coming September. Thank you.